31 August 2010

Going Solo

For a couple days last week it finally cooled down to reasonable temperatures.  I took the opportunity to eat outside on the patio.  As I looked at the 10 foot pine tree in the back yard, I realized it had only one pine cone.


See?  One lonely little pine cone.


I was intrigued.  I don't remember a lot from botany class, certainly nothing about the number of pine cones on an average tree.   This little tree has struggled the past couple of years.  You can see a little of the brown needles from the heat and low water this summer.  Overall though, I never remember seeing a tree with only one cone.


I looked closer and saw that the ends of the branches had these little buds on them.  So the tree is still growing, in spite of the weather.  Maybe next year we'll get 2 pine cones!

M.E.

No comments: