18 August 2010

The night lights

 Last night I had to go to the airport to pick up some friends of mine.  They were flying in from an international trip via Chicago-O'Hare airport.  Now, we all know the chances of that flight being on time were null.  So, I picked up a book, my keys, and my bag with the camera, of course!


I parked my car in the McDonald's parking lot because it was conveniently located on this curve in the roadway.  It was later on a weeknight, so the traffic was light.

I was playing with 6-13 second shutter speeds.

And because I didn't want to scream "lady with an nice camera over here" in the night, I set the camera on my dash instead of using a tripod.  I had aimed the car toward the traffic, shut off the radio and engine to avoid vibration, and used my handy wireless remote on the shutter release.


Here you can see the headlights of the cars, and an orange light that was on top of the transport bus, but really no vehicles.  It's kind of surreal.


Here the light is intensified when I use black and white contrast.  I like seeing the starlight effect on the street lamp as well.


This is the modern art I created when I used a 13 second shutter speed and intentionally rocked the camera a little bit!  The thicker white at the bottom are headlights, the other colors are the street lights and reflections off the colored street signs in the area.

I have to tell you, even though it was beginner use of photographic "night vision" for me, it was probably the most fun I've ever had waiting at the airport!

Hopefully this weekend I will be able to get some more evening and night photos.  Last weekend it rained at the key times, but we needed the rain so badly I'm not even sad about missing them.

Hope you have a good day,
M.E.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh I like these photos, I just got a new camera and I'm excited to learn all the neat things it does.