27 July 2011

Summer school

So, apparently I can't stay away from the classroom.  I'm taking an introductory photography class at the local university.  It's technically an art class, so it is a combination of learning to use the camera well (I hope) and creating good pictures that tell a story and can be seen as art.  We'll see how much of that I accomplish in this short 5 week session.




This is one of my favorite 'accidental art' kind of photos.  It's from the Bon Jovi concert and I took it will my cell phone.  Love it!  Maybe I'll learn how to do more like this on purpose!

                                                                                 This was one I took to use as a backdrop down the road.  I need to reverse the flags (the wind was blowing pretty well that day) and then I could use text or other photos as an overlay.  That could tell a story.

I wasn't sure how much of the class time I would share here, I don't want to bore you!  However, after the first 4 hours session, I knew I'd have some stories to tell over the next few weeks.  First, the instructor has quite a diverse educational and work history, but I'm not sure pedagogy or classroom management were on the list.  In his defense, 30 people is entirely too many for a summer seminar class, especially when most of them are just there trying to meet a general education requirement.  Reminded me of herding cats...

We spent the first couple hours outside, appreciating the mini break in the humidity.  What I learned is that 2 hours on the hard ground without a break to get up and move around doesn't feel like it did when I was an undergrad...a-hem, several years back!

Part of the course is also the history of photography in general and how we reached this point with digital media and photography as a legitimate art form.  That is really interesting to me.  I tend to learn better when I have the whole concept.  Learning how we've come from chemical type engraving to using digital photos, with all the steps in between tells a story in my head that I can remember when I'm trying to take good photos.  Also, the sheer diversity of people and majors in this class could be a hoot!

I will post some of the photos I take and the purpose behind a few of the assignments as I go along.  Luckily, the state fair is going on while I am in this class, so I will be getting all kinds of good shots from that little trip...and stories too.  Wish me luck for the second 4 hour session tomorrow, after I work all day.

M.E.

 

6 comments:

Laura said...

I'm so jealous! I so want to take a photography class but there is not one in my tiny town. Hopefully the next place I live will have one.

Jan n Jer said...

One day I will take a photography class..there is so much to learn not only about my camera but how to take a great picture. Good for you taking this class...you will walk away with a better understanding of it all!

Justine said...

this looks great, are you sure you need to do a beginners course? your photography is great.

forgetmenot said...

Enjoy the class--you undoubtedly will come away with much "helpful" knowledge. Didn't you love the Bon Jovi concert!!!! Have a nice weekend. Mickie :)

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Good for you for taking a course! I too have gone from faculty to learner in the past year, having taken 3 community college courses (Drawing I, Drawing II, and Photoshop) online -- it's been very enjoyable. I'm sure you'll learn a lot --

Cat said...

Lucky girl! Enjoy yourself! I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about what you learn.