13 November 2010

Learning PSE 9

I'm a little behind the eight ball on processing photos.  My parents were kind enough to buy me the Photoshop Elements 9 and now I am cooking with gas!

OK, not really, but I'm learning a ton of new things.


While I continue to learn how to take great photos and the in-and-outs of camera settings, I can also learn how to enhance photos with color, texture, and additions.  Helping me on this quest is a book called Teach Yourself Visually and this fabulous free e-course from Kim Klassen Cafe.



So, here are some samples of what I have learned so far.  First simple understanding of using layers and adding some funky color for shock value!


Then I took advantage of another stunning fall day to get some late afternoon shots.  This one I added some soft light, texture, and nice sentiment with text.



And then I really got into it, using several merged layers, more texture, vivid color, and some artistic effects.  I could play with this stuff all day.

 This photo started out from a Sony point and shoot and I really liked the original, but I have to tell you, this version pretty much knocks my socks off!  I know is personal taste, but I hope a few others like it too.

I'm sure I will share more as I learn this new-to-me software.  Feel free to leave any favorite techniques you may have in the comments section, that would be great!

M.E.

4 comments:

Rosie@leavesnbloom said...

Isn't the course great - I am on it aswell. I admire Kim's masterpieces I wanted to see how she does her workflows and learn all her useful tips and she has given us so many already.

I love your last photo - if you're over on my blog on Sunday you'll see that I was playing around with similar levels as you were and making pictures look surreal. Doesn't time fly when your creating things though!

SouthernSass said...

I have PSE 8 and will be upgrading to 9. It is so much fun - I love actions. Check out coffeeteaphotography.blogspot.com for free actions and tutorials!

Katie said...

I am loving Kim's class, too! I have PSE 8 and there are so many shortcuts and things I've learned from her, it's great! :) And your last edit is pretty cool!

nanny said...

I think your texture photo is wonderful!!! I took the first session and have not had time to catch up with the others.....maybe tomorrow! I want to learn so badly!!!!!