02 November 2012

Why I have been M.I.A.

I have one of those jobs that changes every day and you can't really explain easily to other people.  And some days I'm just plain not allowed to tell anybody.  (This fall has reminded me why am I still searching for the next position.)  Suffice it to say I work in public safety with all kind of agencies you know by their letters and awesome first responders like police officers and firefighters. 

We've had a steady stream of dignitary visitors through the last couple months and they have stressed me out, quite frankly.  I told my boss last week that if this pattern continued I was heading to the airport and getting on the next available flight!  Because my work is such that you don't see me, the photos in this post are all borrowed - with appropriate credit given below each one. 

Photo credit: Columbus Dispatch
So first, we had this guy stop by a couple different weekends - look familiar?  Yep, Mr. Ryan is one of the candidates hoping to change his job (or maybe keep the one he already has in Wisconsin) this coming week.  I didn't see him playing cornhole (the game you see in the photo), but by all Twitter accounts, he needs a little practice.
Then, we had 5 - yes I said 5 - visits from the other main candidate, President Obama.  Here is one of the lines of folks waiting to go inside to hear him speak.  During one visit he was with Mrs. Obama, one time with Wil.i.am.

Photo credit: twitter user
I love this next shot with the perfect sun flare over the crowd reminding everyone to vote.  I won't suggest any particular candidates, but for the love of all things good and holy, please vote if you can.  The amount of time, energy, and money spent on these campaigns should not be in vain.  Please do what you can to shape your community.  (Also, if you do not understand the need for campaign reform, please move to Ohio 6 months before the next major election and suffer with us - it will become painfully clear to you!)

Photo credit: twitter user
 Along the way we have also had other speakers and visitors.  A friend of the university president, U.S. ambassador to the U.N., Susan Rice stopped by.  She brought her family for a visit on a gameday - just following the bombing of the consulate and the riots in the middle east.  Because apparently my stress level wasn't already high enough!  Good news, in regular clothes she blends in really well with the 170,000 fans milling around and it was an uneventful visit.

Photo credit: US State Dept.
The university kicked off a fundraising campaign by filling the Oval with 15,000 people to see the band O.A.R. Here's a shot I would refer to as a recruiting tool with O.A.R and TBDBITL.  I'm guessing the college band members spend far more time practicing than any of us can imagine.  Their half-time show on October 6, 2012 went viral and the YouTube video got over 13 million hits.  Kudos to them for all the work and sacrifices they make to be that spectacular!

Photo Credit: OSU facebook page

Photo credit: Columbus Dispatch
Danny Glover and Secretary/General Colin Powell both came to deliver motivating speeches to the students and other guests.  Both were extremely well received events - which means all that prep work beforehand was worth the time.  Sometimes it's hard to remember that when the high profile events start stacking up day after day!
Photo credit: OSU.edu
Just as we were cruising along, the business folks thought we should throw in the GE Capital Middle Market Summit - carried live by one of the NBC networks.  Now, if you're not a business kind of person (*raises hand*) than you might not see the stress factor involved with this kind of event.  But trust me when I say after researching the dickens out of all of the key members of this 700 person party, I concurred that running bomb dogs through the venue was absolutely appropriate.  Here is a brief list of the more notable players:
  • Jeff Immelt, Chairman and CEO, General Electric 
  • Warren Buffett, CEO, Berkshire Hathaway (a one of the wealthiest people alive)
  • Roger Goodell, Commissioner, NFL
  • Sammy Hagar, Hall of Fame rocker, middle market CEO and philanthropist
  • James Carville, Democratic political consultant
  • Mary Matalin, Republican political consultant
It was an extremely well done event, in spite of the external event planners involved.  Seriously, maybe I should apply for that job to help them out.  We're all crossing our fingers that next year they will want it to be even bigger and better and some other location!

And just for giggles, along the way there have been plenty of these monster football games to keep safe.  I remember when just running one of these was the big event for the week. 

Ahh, the good old days.
Photo credit: twitter user
I'm hoping to get back to using my own camera sometime after Thanksgiving.  I'd be a fool to anticipate any free time sooner.  If it happens it will be a happy day and I will share it with you all!

6 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

I would say you are ready for a vacation after such a stressful time ;) Colin Powell is going to be in our area for a book signing and our son will be seeing him. He met him once before several years ago in Normandy when along with his grandpa, a veteran of WWII, saw a lot of dignitaries who were there for the D-Day Remembrance. He still talks about that time, not for just seeing all the dignitaries, but realizing what our veterans and his grandpa had gone through and I am so glad he was able to experience it, one of those once in a lifetime. He is still so proud of his grandfather.

Emille said...

I don't think I would like your job! Protecting someone with crowds of people would be nerve wracking to me! I rather sit with one, or a few, or even a small group to tell them how to change their lives. That was my job:) Now I'm painting - that's the best job, even though no one pays me, unless I sell a painting:):)

Grandma Becky said...

Thanks for the update! Wow, what a job indeed. Take it easy and hopefully it will wind down soon so you won't completely lose your wits! *smile* Hang in there and will look forward to more photos and stories, when the time allows! Hugs!

Inger-M said...

Wow, you have really been busy! Hope the stress is mostly over now.
I have been absent for quite a while too, and I'm trying to work my way back into blogging.

Chris said...

Hi MarieElizabeth, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Laura said...

Holy cow, that is insane! I hope you are able to get some rest over the holiday weekend!